Monday, October 31, 2011

Autumn Notes

The chill is back. We had our last bike ride by the lake.

The deep blue may have thin crusts of ice any day now.


And the last of the tomatoes - red and green were consumed in this fall-inspired roasted tomato soup. Tomatoes are roasted with onions and garlic and then simmered in broth. All is pureed and you're done. Make it vegan with vegetable broth. There's no dairy - it's just earthy goodness. Simple. Fresh. Autumn. Find the recipe at Tupper Cooks. But beware: it will have you wishing for tomato season.


This is what I have come to see as the wonder of Italian cooking - when the ingredients are good - there's no need to embellish.

I think soup was given to us from the gods.Soup has always made me feel as if I had a home in the world. Soup has reassured me, nurtured me and smiled at me throughout my life. There's never been a soup recipe that didn't make me stand up and pay attention. And when it has Parmesan dumplings - life is good. Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice posted a vegetable soup with  Parmesan dumplings. I was hypnotized - bid to make this immediately and ended up swiping a few dumplings as a snack before the family came home. Find the recipe here.


I came to the charms of winter squash later in life. It still doesn't hold the same allure that soup or Parmesan does but it does bring you back to earth telling you quite firmly that autumn is here. I found these roasted pumpkin wedges from Proud Italian Cook.


If you have followed my blog you may have noted that I have great lazy-bones tendencies. The first thing that appealed to me was that I didn't have to peel the pumpkin. Coated with thyme, parsley, lemon zest, breadcrumbs and well - a little Parmesan certainly added to its allure. And - my husband loves this stuff. Once in a while - you need to think of others! I did roast pumpkin seeds along with the wedges and tossed them all over and piled a few into the cooling dip. Find the recipe here.

The lake has given way to autumn. These days I simmer soups listening to Nick Drake's exquisite Northern Sky. Listen to it here.


"I never felt magic crazy as this
I never saw moons knew the meaning of the sea
Or felt sweet breezes in the top of a tree
But now you're here
Brighten my northern sky."

- Nick Drake


The autumn days keep Pip busy - running from window to window "chasing" falling leaves. Pointing out our autumn mice. And by evening he falls into deep slumber. "How is he breathing?" asks Kirsten.

Tonight Kirsten's jack-o-lantern will turn ghoulish. Pumpkin seeds will roast, cider will mull, fairies and super-heroes with an occasional zombie will come calling. Too many miniature chocolate bars will be consumed.  And the streets belong to the children. And in the warmth of my home, I will be simmering soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Themes by bonard alfin blog - blogger templatesSupported by studio rekaman | forum audio | playstation vita